What is a Database?
What is a Database and why is it so important ?In today’s world you just can’t escape the database. Right now there millions databases at work storing all sorts of information. Starting from government files to company employee records to consumer shopping habits. Found to be the foundation of the majority of the content-driven websites and applications. Databases serve a special mission in order to provide a well-organized mechanism for data manipulation.
Databases are also referred to as “dynamic web pages”. Dynamic databases are heavily used in millions of website and application development. Owning the majority of the data on the web. Therefore dynamic storage rules the web by offering a quick and automated way for the information to be:
- Tailoring the information to the needs of the individual who is looking at the content they need to see.
What is a database that is Dynamic?
To understand dynamic web pages, you have to first of all understand normal, or in other words ‘static’ web pages. Nothing changes on a static page when you click on a typical non-dynamic web page. Consequently, every time you reload the browser, the data provided always stays the same.
Neither is there any changes to the page if a user clicks on a button. There is no recalculation or reorganizing of data. Therefore the only change that you will see in static web pages is to see them load and then to see them unload. However, a dynamic Database allows you to lets you store and retrieve that data as efficiently.
In order to do this, websites including yours need a Data Base Management System (DBMS). A DBMS refers to the software that handles moving the data in, out and around your database. While the term database refers to the actual body of data that you are storing. The DBMS takes a series of parameters and then calculates the responses in a matter of milliseconds, then adds that information to the dynamic web page you are looking at.
How does a Dynamic Database work?
Let me explain in simpler terms. You go to Google, Bing, or Yahoo and type something in the search field.
- Lets say, “the difference between an apple and an orange”.
- Google searches the entire worldwide web for this information.
- Due to the massive size of data, bot software then pulls up all the matching data you were asking for.
- Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, or any other search engine provides a system in ranking the results
- As a result, the search engine bots displays the information in the search results in the order it chooses.
- This is how a database or DBSM software works.
- So the answer to the question what is a database also depends on the size or amount of data you want to carry.
- What still is amazing, is how this is all done. Since all of this calculation is done in a blink of an eye.
The four main types of Data Base Management System (DBMS).
Officially, the hierarchical database model represents a tree structure. Maybe an easier way to explain, we can use the parent – child structure. Each parent can have as many children as he/she wants, but each child has only one parent. IMS (Information Management System), is the most popular hierarchical database.
Relational databases is the most popular database type. Widely used on the World Wide Web. Easily stored information is queried requiring the least amount of storage space. Creating and storing in relational databases, is done by dividing the information into tables. Without having to recalculate or reorganize, new information storage can be easy. In addition the need to duplicate data is often avoided in a relational database.
A temporal database is a database with built-in support for handling data involving time. An example is like viewing a bank balance or gathering information to setup a subscriber.
In computing, a graph database is a database that uses graph structures for semantic queries. Graph databases have nodes, edges and properties to represent and store data. The relationships allow data in the store to be linked together directly. And in most cases retrieved with a single operation. In simplest terms, this is a database that adjust the size and dimensions of the web page. All based on the medium the person is using to view it. (See Relational)
What is a Database (DBSM) Software’s
Thousands of software’s are made every year for Databases. Mostly based on which platform your website uses. Windows, Mac, Linux, or other smaller platforms. Commonly used software’s are:
- SQL (pronounced Sequel) – SQL is the most famous relational database standard is the SQL language. Over and over, several database software programs are SQL. Expandable and flexible, additional coding to the software is available. Some of the most common of these are MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- PHP – Focusing mostly on server-side. It is also known as a behind the scenes scripting software. So you can do anything any other CGI program can do, such as collect form data, generate dynamic page content, or send and receive cookies
- Python – Python is a general purpose programming language created in the late 1980s, and named after Monty Python. Commonly used for testing microchips at Intel, powering Instagram, and building video games with the PyGame library.
- Ruby – Because of the Ruby on Rails framework, it usage is best known as a language for Web Applications because it offers a wide range of fields. The general purpose nature of Ruby makes it suitable for a wide array of programming tasks, just like Perl, Python and other general purpose languages.
- ASP.NET – usually with the C# programming language. Dynamic page creation is easily manageable with ASP.
- MS Access – Microsoft’s Access is a personal DBMS. It can handle up to around 25 concurrent users. But it can freeze on you for business and enterprise projects
What is a Database and How Do I Know Which One is Best for Me?
First of all you need to decide the answer to this question. What is a database to you? What your immediate needs are. Where you expect to be in the short term and long term future. Are you going to use this on a website that could potentially have hundreds of people accessing information at the same time?
Then you need to estimate your future needs. How much do you think your website will grow? In Conclusion, please feel free to contact us to discuss your database solutions. We must also apologize in advance as this article throws out a lot of definitions that may be new to you. We are also available for live chat if you have more questions. What is a Database languages and programming? Our goal is to provide the best service we can. We pride ourselves in working out all the little details so that you can work on the parts of your business that you are passionate about. We love all comments and suggestions.