What is Search Engine Ranking
Search engine ranking refers to the position at which a particular website appears in the results of a search engine requests. If you are in the top 10 on the first page, you get more hits. If your website is not even in the top 10,000, chance are you will get very little generated traffic from the search engines. Search Engine Results Page (SERP) is what the visitor sees when he types in a query into the search engine. The Search engine then lists all of the available data that in knows about and categorizes and sorts it based on what they feel is the most accurate data for the query made. Search engine companies spend billions of dollars creating
Algorithms that are software’s that crawl the World Wide Web and create formulas for calculating what is the most viable and resourceful websites. Google and other Search engines use names now to advertise their new upgrades to their software. You may have heard of Panda, Penguin, Hummingbird, RankBrain, and other cute marketable names. Bottom Line, Search Engines are ever evolving technology that credits those who follow the rules and sniffs out the cheaters. Google Analytics is a good and powerful free tool to show you what you need to do and monitor your success.
Search Engine Ranking Mindset.
Put yourself for a moment in the mind of these search engine companies. Their business is to be the best at finding information for the people who use them. Each one of them claims, or tries to claim that they offer the most accurate data that is easy to find and is exactly what their viewers are looking for. In General, this is their only focus. If you try to manipulate their formulas for providing good data, then you are their enemy and they will do whatever they can to penalize you and remove you from the top of the search engines.
Even if you were lucky enough to manipulate their system to get a higher share of the traffic that does not really apply to your website. Chances are that the search engine software’s will be updated and close that window in a very short period of time. On the other hand, if you offer good information and you follow the proper steps to optimize it so that their software algorithm sees you, then you are offering a website that the search engines want to list to their viewers, and you will get a higher rating.
Search Engine Ranking Formula.
So what is the magic formula? Oh how I wish that this one article could cover all of that. Out of the millions of the so called experts and books out there, how happy I would be if I could carry the secret ingredient that solves the entire issue and has you ranked number one on every search engine in every possible category that your website deals with. Not only would I be able to help you with instant success, I would also be pretty well off too.
So the purpose of this article is to provide a good solid and stable direction for you to follow. We at Turnkey Web and marketing employ these same, white hat, good quality techniques. Offering quality service to every client who chooses to work with us.
A Search Engine Ranking Chart
Recently, our friends at Search Engine Land, put together a detailed and thorough chart. It includes all the factors that can have an effect on your Search Engine Ranking. Have a look.
As you can see, This Chart is quite extensive. Even a little scary looking to someone who is new to SEO and running a website, blog, or webstore. What I hope you take from this chart is that with proper planning, patience, and a dedication to providing a good quality website, that you can solve the mystery of Search Engine Ranking.
Now here is more information for you to consider. Including some helpful advice for you to follow for Search Engine Ranking.
- Search engines rank individual pages, blogs, or products of a website. Not the entire site as a whole. This means that one page might rank #1 for certain keywords. Each page, Product, or blog needs to be individually optimized.
- Search engine ranking is influenced by a great many factors including the age of site. The longer the site has been up, is not a bad thing. However, the age of the content on a site is a bad thing. Therefore, update your pages with new content on a regular basis.
Content is King.
- Content, Content, Content is still number one. The quality of the information you give is still the deciding factor to high page ranking. Some may think that you are “giving the farm away” based on the information you provide, but the opposite many times takes place. The more relevant and professional your data is, the more your viewer will trust you to do business with you. Of course there is always that one in a 100 that will take your data, and go do it on their own. But you cannot focus on the one. Focus on the 99 who realize that it takes too much time to take on an unknown challenge, and they would rather have a professional do it for faster, higher quality, and many times cheaper than if they fumbled around trying to do it themselves.
- Proper on page SEO is still number two. Make it easy for the search engines algorithms to find you. Do not let your coding or fancy designs get in the way. Hire a professional if you do not understand the coding or SEO. Focus on what you do best, and leave the rest to the professionals.
- Links, Link building and more Links. Still number three. The more people talking about you, the more of online presence you have. Look at the World Wide Web as virtual real estate, the more land share you have, the wealthier you are and the bigger you can build things.
Tips for Search Engine Ranking (continued)
- Stick with one topic. Have you ever met someone who switched topics every 5 seconds without finishing a single story. Annoying, isn’t it? Maybe we all have been guilty of that from time to time. The same applies to your individual web pages. Stick to one topic or main theme, don’t keyword up (10 keywords on a single page). Dedicated a page for each keyword individually. Finish the story and then create a new page or blog for the next idea.
- Cheaters never prosper over time. We all want the edge up over the competition and are always looking for ways to stay ahead. The problem is that some of your competition cross the line and do unethical things. It always catches up to them over time. The same is true for Search Engine Ranking. Don’t cross the line and know that Google, MSN, Yahoo, and all the search engine penalize you when they catch you. They spend Billions of dollars in programming to keep everyone honest. Lots of resources dedicated on cracking down on the cheaters. Look at it this way, if you are driving fast, way over the speed limit, just one time, Odds are in your favor that you might not get caught. Do that every day for a week, you may get away with it but the odds are definitely changing. What are the odds against you after a month or a year? Eventually you will get caught and will have to pay the price. The same can be said of your SEO practices. You may get away with one small thing once. But the longer it is up there, the greater the chance of getting caught.
Slow and steady wins the race. Search engine ranking tips.
- Slow and steady wins the race. Remember the kid’s story, a fast rabbit against a slow turtle. The rabbit takes off but then loses concentration and gets distracted. The turtle keeps his eyes on the finish line and eventually gets there and wins the race. The spoils always go to the victor. Don’t just shoot out the gate and then walk away or lose interest. Slow and steady plan with determination will always win you the success you want for your website, blog, or webstore.
- Don’t ignore the images. Add ALT text to the images. The ALT tags also strengthen the page that it is sitting on. When the keywords are included in the Meta tagging for your image, this strengthens the page it is linked to.
- Be careful who you work with. If you outsource some of the work for your website, make sure that not only they know what they are doing, but that they operate only using ethical practices. There one single mistake could penalize you for years. So be cautious.
Educate your clients with content to prove your reliable
- Be VERY, oh did I say VERY responsive. Your website must in today’s world be visible on any device that your viewer is using. A responsive design looks good no matter what device they are using. Because it adapts the structure of the website to fit but still looks good.
- The greater the word count and the keyword percentage to the content. All other things being equal, a 300 word count article will get a lower Search Engine Ranking than a 1,000 word count article. 1,000 to 1,200 is in our opinion the right range for informational pages. However, if your word count gets up to 2,000 words, open up a new page and split the content as people will not read it. Product pages should be 300 – 500 words.